January 4, 2012
A longshoreman working for a ship repair subcontractor was badly burned when a defective work lamp was left in the bilge of the engine room. The longshoremen's crew was cleaning the engine room with combustible solvents which ignited when the gas came in contact with the lamp, which was not explosion proof. The defendant was the prime contractor.
The case focused on the responsibilities and duties of a prime ship repair contractor for the safety and well being of subcontractor employees. The recovery was $3,250,000.